As of this morning the decision was made to book the O.R. and deliver me due to these nasty headaches an my dropping platelets. I called everyone, texted everyone and the decision has changed once again. I should have known better than to tell anyone or to set my mind to thinking I was meeting my lovies tommorow. The reasoning behind this is sort of complicated and frustrating but I will try to explain the best I can.
I started having some nasty headaches about 2 1/2 weeks ago. They hurt worse when I was laying down or coughing and didn't improve with Tylenol so that is one of the reasons I was admitted into the hospital. In addition to that my platelets have been dropping slowly.
I was seen my Neurology the other day and had an MRI which came out unremarkable. They wanted to do a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) but ended up deciding against it because the medicine (Fioricet) I was taking at the time was helping a little. The catch is, the medicine would only help a little and only for a little while. I was also seen by Hematology/Oncology about my platelets. They drew labs and looked at my blood under a microscope for any fragmentation but came up with nothing so they chalked the low platelets up to pregnancy.
Today they started me on a different medication, Dilaudid. The medicine is great for relaxing me and helping me rest but just isn't helping the headache much. Because of this, they now want to go ahead with the lumbar puncture to rule out any increased intracranial pressure or imbalance of spinal fluid. If for some reason I had this they would give me a medication, such as a diuretic to decrease it. They feel they don't want to take the babies out early if they don't absolutely have to. They would really like to see me make it to 34 weeks. I would too if it weren't for these headaches. So I've decided to keep my trap shut from now on and not tell anyone that I'm going to deliver unless I've already done so.