Saturday, May 2, 2009

No Wonder I Can't Sleep...

If being pregnant with one baby is an excuse for lack of sleep, then being pregnant with three is an excuse for full blown insomnia. The mind never stops. It swirls with calculations, questions,, planning, and so many what ifs.

We had our anatomy scan yesterday. David hasn't seen the babies since they were just 3 black holes on the screen, otherwise known as sacs. He was amazed and excited of course, especially after seeing his son's packages. We got quite the scare when the nurse/ultrasound tech. thought she actually saw 3 boys and no girl. Of course we would be overjoyed with whatever we get. They were all just spinning around and doing zumba in there so she couldn't catch anything. The girl had her legs spread right underneath my belly button which made her hard to scan.

Alas, there are 2 boys and 1 girl. One girl weighs 8oz, one boy 8oz and the other boy 9oz. They have all the necessary parts to be compatible with life so far. Their hearts and palates couldn't quite be visualized for scrutiny yet but we hope for them to be my the next appointment in 2 weeks. I can't explain how amazing it is to me that there are 3 humans in there, all healthy so far. What are the chances? Sure, you see it all the time. I guess having seen the other side makes me skeptical. Being skeptical makes me feel more grounded, prepared for what lies ahead. I lay in be all night calculating how long it will take them to reach one pound, two pounds, three pounds, survival...

I feel so blessed, so lucky, so happy. I'm leaving work May 13. I'll be 20 weeks. While I am so sad to be leaving what I love doing so much, for what could turn into a long time, I am ready to begin this new chapter. My coworkers/friends threw me a surprise feast at work last weekend and gave me a beautiful Willow statue of a pregnant woman. I've wanted that statue for years now and looking at it on the shelf is a bold reminder of far I have come. Those girls are the best and I am going to miss them dearly. I am going to miss seeing new life come into the world. Not many people get to enjoy that miracle and I am one of the lucky ones.

Oh and BTW, I am measuring 24 weeks now. The belly is getting so big. I will post new pictures soon,

No comments:

Post a Comment