Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Progress...but too slow for an impatient mama....

The babies are all doing so well but I am growing more impatient by the day. Having your babies at the NI CU is not a fun experience. After I've had a couple of weeks to deliver and time for the reality to set in, I have more time to think about how much I wish they were here. It's a bizarre feeling to have carried them so long and have nothing to show for it when I'm home except for a pump at the bedside and a bag of empty bottles waiting to be filled.

All they need to do is to learn how to coordinate their sucking, swallowing and breathing well enough to be able to take all of their feedings through a bottle. This sounds easy but when you are premature it can be quite a challenge. They are 35.3 weeks today corrected. Frankie is doing best with his feedings. He bottles really well and breastfeeds really well. If we are lucky, he may be making his way home by this weekend. Yesterday he was 4lbs9oz so he is growing but is still a little guy and may need a whole new car seat to come home in which rots because we have already bought our car seats, thrown out the boxes and set them up. Oh well, I guess at this point I would be willing to pay a zillion dollars for anything just so they could come home. He is my funny guy. He likes to crack half smiles and loves snuggling. He reminds me of a little elf, hence his new possible nickname, Keebler.

David is getting better with his feedings but is having more trouble. He was the sicker one out of them and so his lungs still need more time to develop in order for him to perfect his feedings. He has no spells though and is growing well and is a trooper otherwise. He also loves snuggling and smiling and also trying to eat his hands. He is the biggest at 5lbs7oz. He needed a little extra time to catch up but he's doing well. He never fit any of his preemie clothes.

Mattea is also feeding really well most of the time. She loves to guzzle her bottle and does so so at breastfeeding. She is almost always alert and as soon as she hears my voice when I come in she starts to wake up and look around. She loves to socialize. Yesterday she weighed 4lbs5oz so she may need a new car seat too the little turkey. As of yesterday she hadn't had a spell in 2 days. Her heart rate had been high for a few days so they decided to run some blood work to see if she was anemic. It came back normal so they did an ECG which also came back normal so they will be watching her. It is probably nothing but he reaction to stimulation. She has also had a little periodic breathing, taking breaks from breathing sometimes but remembering on her own that she needs to do that. She is a rock star otherwise and will probably be the next one home provided she straightens her little self out.

I can't wait for them to come home. David put the first swing together yesterday. We are so ready for them to be here and not there. Everyone says they'll be home when the time is right and la dee da but unless you've been separated from your babies you really can't understand how it feels. So even though I am SO thankful for healthy, beautiful babies it is a rough time with lots of tears and I can't wait for it to be a distant memory.


  1. Marcie and David,
    I am a friend of Clara's and I am so happy for you both. I had twins who were in the NICU for just over four months so I have an idea of the emotional toll this can have. You seem so strong and before you know it this WILL be one of a million distant memories. The babies are so strong and resilent compared to us parents (and grandparents)! Best wishes. Kristy Hill forever a MOTHER OF MULTIPLES

  2. Hun, I was very blessed by our trips not needing much NICU time. Jax was in there the longest and that was only 2 and a half days and just those 2 and a half days were hard on me, I could not imagine doing it for weeks or months like some Mommy's do. I know its hard, but it will all come to an end very soon and you guys will never look back. I dont know if your a big music buff or not (I am), but you should look up the song "Wires" by Athlete, its a great song.

    I dont know what kind of car seats you have but when we were leaving the hospital we had to do the car seat tests and all of that and they said that the only car seats they would let them leave in was the Graco Snugride because it was approved for infants as small as 4lbs... luckily that is what we had and didnt have to get a car bed or anything.

    Hope the babies continue to grow and get stronger! Come on babies, Mommy wants you to come home!!!

  3. Sounds like your trio is doing well - congratulations. Mine had a shorter than average NICU stay ( 2 1/2 weeks) but it was the longest couple of weeks I've ever endured. Hang in there the best you can.